Since some folks with ReadyNAS OS 4 systems seem to have problems with recent updates for software packages they use on their ReadyNAS (specifically CrashPlan) I decided to unbundle my version of the GNU C Library (aka glibc or libc6) from the Dropbox add-on and make it available as a separate free download.
Before installing please note the following things:
- Libc6/Glibc is an integral part of your ReadyNAS, so replacing it is potentially dangerous
- During installation several services on the ReadyNAS will be restarted, including Samba. This means existing connections to shares on the ReadyNAS may be lost and need to be reestablished.
- During testing the version distributed here I found some utilities that needed to be updated as well. Those I know of are included in the add-on package. But those are the ones I know of and there’s no guarantee that others aren’t affected as well. If you find a program on your NAS that is not working properly after installing the add-on, let me know and I’ll try to fix it.
- Also included is an i686 optimized version of the library that should give you a small performance boost in the lower 1 digit percent range.
- A reboot is not necessary after the installation of this add-on. However, I personally would recommend to restart your ReadyNAS after installation to make sure all programs and daemons are using the new version.
- This is a “fire & forget” type of add-on which means that it will not show up in the list of installed add-ons. You can test for a successful install using the command “dpkg -l | grep libc6” on an SSH command line.
Ok, enough scare for now. I have Glibc 2.13 running on my ReadyNAS boxes for more than a year now and have yet to encounter a problem. So go grab it and have fun.